Bachelor of Arts in Digital Journalism (DJ)
Digital Journalism covers both the comprehensive courses on the principles and techniques in journalism, and the advanced delivery of news and information using new media platforms. This program focuses on print, broadcast and online news writing, reporting and news coverage with extensive laboratory experience. It also provides students with the knowledge and skills in digital newspaper, journal and magazine publication; economic, industrial and business online reporting; photojournalism, graphic journalism and publication design; principles and tools of electronic and web publishing. This field is a combination of advanced classroom and laboratory experiences, with emphasis on professional and ethical standards.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES
Within five years after graduation, the graduates of Digital Journalism program shall have:
Equipped with journalistic standards, and specialized skills in delivering news and information using various formats and platforms, specifically the new media and digital technology.
Practiced professional and ethical standards of journalism as vital in the democratic delivery of information.
Demonstrated life-long learning via progress toward completion of an advanced degree in journalism, or professional skills development in writing using various digital media platforms.
A. Ability to apply news values and interest in the selection of stories about the events, incidents, issues and developments that affect people.
B. Ability to connect news stories to socio-cultural and economic contexts of their community.
C. Ability to gather relevant and valid sets of information from proper source of data.
D. Ability to learn the methods and techniques of data gathering like notetaking, audio and video recording, interviews, documentary study, observations, and other ways of data gathering.
E. Ability to utilize new media platforms in the delivery of news and information.
F. Ability to organize and compose the structure of information using proper format and new media platform.
G. Ability to learn the correct use of journalistic language and style for specific target readers.
H. Ability to understand the journalistic rights and responsibilities by considering the journalism ethics.
I. Ability to deal and settle ethical conflict using professional standards of journalism, and conform to standard work ethics like work on deadline, respect for data sources, culture sensitive approach.
J. Ability to determine, deliberate and organize significant topics for scholarly ouput in journalism.
PROFESSIONAL OPPORTUNITIES FOR DIGITAL JOURNALISM GRADUATES
- Online Journalist (writer, editor, publisher, blogger, social media specialist)
- Newspaper and Magazine Journalist (writer, columnist, editor, researcher, proofreader, layout artist, publisher, editorial assistant)
- Visual Journalist (photojournalist, graphics journalist, video journalist)
- Broadcast Journalist (news writer, news reporter, segment writer/producer, documentary writer/reporter/producer, news anchor, field reporter, researcher, editorial assistant)
- Investigative Journalist (government agent, NGO agent)
- Company-based Journalist (copywriter, editor, corporate communicator, writer, proofreader, researcher, editorial assistant)
- Journalism Educator (professor, lecturer, program coordinator, dean)